For Quality Education and Neighborhood Preservation
Pro Point Loma is your neighborhood group concerned with the preservation of the uniquely suburban-feeling neighborhood of Loma Portal. Our current focus is on the expansion and commercialization of the Point Loma High School Stadium. The San Diego Unified School District is on a fast track to turn the High School Stadium into a rentable sports event & practice venue. Imagine Petco Park at Point Loma High School.
The project includes:
- Expansion of capacity with a minimum of 500 extra seats, bringing the seating capacity to 2,500
- Addition of a professional press box on top of the bleachers
- Installation of a commercial PA sound system
- Construction of additional ticket booths and concession stands
- Installation of 60 floodlights on 90 foot light towers
The project will result in:
- Intolerable traffic and pedestrian congestion
- Vehicle estimates for future events renting the High School Stadium will exceed 1,000 cars per event, with nowhere to park other than your neighborhood streets
- Intractable pedestrian, resident, and traffic safety issues
- Noise impacts that will negatively affect quality of life for up to a 1 mile radius
- Light pollution (glare & skyglow) in a broad area of the neighborhood
Pro Point Loma supports the hIgh school and its mission to provide a quality educational and extracurricular experience in a safe and clean neighborhood community. We also support the one Homecoming night event that is held each year with temporary lights – despite its many impacts, this one event is particularly important to the school community and is part of the compromise reached between the school & neighborhood in the early 2000′s with regard to night activity at the stadium.
Pro Point Loma does not support an expansion in the scale, frequency, and intensity of use of the Point Loma High School Stadium at the expense of thousands of neighborhood residents’ quality of life – especially an expansion in which the stadium may be used more by non-school groups than by the students themselves (as is the case at other SDUSD high schools.) As the most intensely overdeveloped school site in the district and the only high school where three property lines consist of residential backyards, Point Loma High School is simply not an appropriate location for an event venue of the type that is being proposed.
Pro Point Loma needs your active participation. To add your name to the growing list of supporters who want to preserve Loma Portal for future generations, or for more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete our contact form.
We Love Loma Portal. Sunny Days. Safe Nights.