Below is a list of images, documents and news items that support the need to take action now to preserve Loma Portal and prevent the commercialization of the PLHS stadium.
- Dana Field Improvement Site Plan
- Aerial view of PLHS stadium cradled by Loma Portal homes.
- Pictures of lights installed at Hoover High School.
- Press box at Hoover High School.
- Images from lighting height demonstration at Crawford High School.
- 2015: Notice of Valid Petition Received from the FAA
- 2015: Petition to FAA
- 2014: Council OKs Handover of Dana Fields to SDUSD
- 2014: Letter from Richard Opper on behalf of PPL
- 2014: Letter to the Editor by Diana Newhart
- 2014: Letter to the Editor by Robert Peters
- 2013: SDUSD EIR Scoping Meeting notice indicates stadium lighting & other steps to commercialize stadium for night events and outside rentals.
- 2012: SDUSD internal documents show stadium lights, demolition of homes to build fields for larger nighttime events.
- 2011: SDUSD flier stating no permanent lights will be installed at PLHS.
- 2010: Point Loma Cluster Schools letter indicates commercialization of PLHS stadium was cancelled due to neighborhood issues; community support for directing money toward Correia athletic facilities.
- 2009: SDUSD fact sheet circa 2009 stating no permanent lights will be installed at PLHS.
- SDUSD Site Assessment for PLHS – stadium not ID’d as an area in need of attention.
- SDUSD Site Specific Bond Project List for PLHS does not mention stadium lighting.
- SDUSD Prop S Facilities Assessment does not mention stadium lighting.
- John DeBeck, 20-year SDUSD Trustee, speaks out against stadium lighting.
- SDUSD traffic study documents hazards from daily school traffic.
- City of San Diego Noise Ordinance.
- Proposition S Ballot that went before voters.
- School Board Resolution – Zoning Exemption for School Site Projects.
- August 16, 2011: Proceeds from field rentals must go to district, not schools. (San Diego Union Tribune)
- December 1, 2010: PLHS stadium issues require compromise (Peninsula Beacon)
- November 25, 2009: One Size Fits all approach doesn’t serve all schools (Peninsula Beacon)
- November 14, 1973: District stops night games in 1973 after violence (San Diego Union)
- January 27, 1956: NIght Games Banned (San Diego Union)
EFFORTS IN OTHER COMMUNITIES
- March 27, 2013: Court of Appeal Ruling – Taxpayers For Accountable School Bond Spending V. San Diego Unified School District.
- March 26, 2012: Letter to SDUSD from the El Cerrito Community Council opposing lights at Crawford High School.
- March 7, 2011: Residents of Talmadge sue SDUSD (San Diego Union Tribune)
- February 11, 2011: Stadium Lights get School District sued (Voice of San Diego)
- March 16, 2009: Letter from the Kensington-Talmadge Planning Group opposing lights at Hoover High School.
- Taxpayers for Accountable School Bond Spending (TFASBS)
- What will the Noise Committee Focus On?
- Hoover EIR Meeting
- Changing the Character of Our Neighborhood
- Will the heart of the community be broken?
- Why commercial grade venues at the high school stadiums?
- Why are PLHS and the Point Loma community different from other SDUSD high schools?
- Our ducks in a row for the draft Environmental Impact Report
- Are you a Stakeholder?
- Forging Ahead
- PLHS Field Use Policy Update